Since we’re in print once again, we thought it made sense to bring back a contest we haven’t had in a while.
We want to see the best photo of your pets that you can possibly come up with so we can choose one of them to be on the cover of our Winter issue!
What are we looking for? Well, that’s hard to say. We sort of know it when we see it, but we can give you some tips and requirements…
- Make sure it’s clear. Blurry photos will definitely not make the grade.
- Brightness counts. Pets shot in shadows, for example, aren’t going to stand out as well as one taken outside in the sunshine.
- Keep it simple. Lots of stuff in the background (like someone’s hand, feet, part of the leash, etc.) won’t be that great.
- Any animal qualifies! Dogs, cats, horses, birds, reptiles, fish, combinations of those… anything. We’re just looking for that one photo that makes us say, “WOW!”
- High resolution is a must. Often, photos taken with a digital camera are set at low resolution so you can fit a bunch on your camera. That works well for posting photos online, but is terrible for print. Keep settings on your camera high so they’re usable. We prefer 300 dpi, but a little less might work as well. (What exactly do we mean by high resolution photos and why do you need to send us high resolution photos? The resolution of a photograph determines the output quality of a photo. The higher the resolution, the fewer pixels, or dots, that make up a digital photo, will be visible, even after enlargement. We ask you send us high resolution digital photos so the image on our cover will look smooth and sharp. Taking High Resolution Photos on your digital camera: determine the maximum megapixel available – these numbers can range from 2.0 megapixels to 160. Because the photo will be reproduced in a magazine, make sure to take them at the maximum resolution.)
- Hard copies mailed to us are just fine. We can usually scan in an actual photo you’ve printed and make that work.
- It DOES NOT have to be a “Winter-y” photo. We’re really just looking for something we love, no matter the season.
Take a look at the Paw Prints The Magazine covers shown on this page… they were all previous photo contest winners. That might give you an idea of what we like.
How to enter and rules:
- Email or mail as many photos of your pets as you’d like. You MUST have permission to use and submit the photos, so if the pet isn’t yours, make sure it’s ok with the pet’s owner. It will be assumed by us that you have permission, so you’re the one that will be in hot water if that’s not the case.
- Photos can be of pets you currently own or pets that are no longer with you.
- Along with each photo, you must include your name, address, telephone number and email address. If you’re emailing the photo, put all of that information in the body of the email. If you’re mailing a hard copy, include a note with the information.
- Submissions must be received by midnight, November 30, 2012.
- Email submissions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Snail mail submissions should go to Paw Prints The Magazine, P.O. Box 140164, Kansas City, MO 64114
- Hard copies of photos cannot be returned, so don’t send your only copy.